Minimum of three paying people.
Walking around the historic centre of Rio is like a journey through time itself, visiting buildings from the Colonial days, from the Imperial period and from the Republican era.
No heavy walking, but a stroll with a light narrative as we go.
Duration About 3 hours (minimum fitness levels required)
The actual itinerary may vary depending on your wishes, on attraction closures and other factors. Let me know your preferences and I will prepare the itinerary to best suit. You can visit from the following:
Meeting at the Municipal Theatre
• Praça Floriana, Cinelândia, including the Odeon Cinema (external)
• The Carioca (Lapa) Arches
• Cathedral of Saint Sebastian – a modern Catholic Cathedral
• Presbyterian Cathedral – a nineteenth century church “promoted” to Cathedral level
• Largo da Carioca, including the historical church of St. Francisco de Penitência - a beautiful example of a colonial church
• Colombo Coffee Shop - dating from the end of the 19th century - stop for refreshments
• Candelaria Church
• Avenida Rio Branco
• Rua do Ouvidor - the original "High Street" of Rio de Janeiro
• Praça 15 (15th Square) where the Portuguese Royal Family arrived and lived for a time
• Tiradentes Palace
• Return to Praça Floriano and the Museum of Belas Artes, the National Library and the Municipal Theatre (Opera house), all external
• At the end of the tour, you are left where we met, less chance of getting lost on the way home!
Getting to see and feel the history of Rio de Janeiro and Brazil by visiting the places "where it all happened". All from the eyes of a "non-Brazilian" so I can sense the importance of the places differently.
The price does not include entrance fees, transport, refreshments or gratuities. The meeting place is on the steps of the Municipal Theatre. This can be accessed from the Metrô (Underground). Details of how to get there can be supplied on request.
Num max people tour : 6
Duration: 3 hours
Tour Categories: Walking, Architecture, Culture,